My Food Storage Deals: SPICE IT UP!

SPICE IT UP!

>> Friday, May 23, 2008




An important element to your food storage is to make sure you have enough spices to last you for a year supply. We don't know if we will ever need to live soley off of what is in our storage, but I do know if we ever needed to, I would need A LOT of spices to make my hundreds of pounds of wheat, pinto beans, rice, oats, pasta, etc. taste good! I LOVE to cook and LOVE buying new spices! The more spices and flavor, the better for me! So...what spices do we need in our food storage to make sure we have enough flavoring to make our food taste good? Besides being able to make our food storage food taste good, having a stocked pantry and food storage filled with a large variety of spices will make cooking and meal planning fun! If you have a good supply of spices in your pantry, you will be able to make nearly ALL recipes.

So...this is what I do. The spices I KNOW I go through quickly I buy at Costco in the BIG jars. This way, I know I will use the spice quickly and don't need to worry about the spices losing their flavor over time. Any of the spices I buy at Costco I always make sure I have a backup jar (for when I run out and to make sure I have my year supply). I buy my spices in three quantaties--MOST (the spices I use ALL the time and I make sure I have 2 or 3 extras of each thing), SOMETIMES (the spices I use a lot, but don't rotate through as quickly) and RARELY (spices I use only every now and then and I usually don't have a backup). Here are a list of the spices and flavorings I keep in my storage:

MOST (spices I use ALL of the time and keep in LARGE quantaties!):
*Montreal Seasoning (or Kirkland Steak Seasoning)--absolute favorite!!!
*Chili Powder (Costco)
*Granulated Garlic (Costco)
*Taco Seasoning (Costco)
*Pepper (Costco)
*Salt (I buy salt at Costco in the 25lb. bag for around $2.49--can't beat that!!!) (8 lbs. per person for a year supply)
*Garlic Spread (from Costco--I LOVE it in everything with an Italian flavor)
*Parsley (Costco)
*Basil (Costco)
*Lemon Pepper (Costco)
*Seasoning Salt (Costco)
*Lemon Juice (Costco)
*Lime Juice
*Vanilla
*Cinnamon (Costco)
*Soy Sauce (Costco)
*White Vinegar (Costco)
*Apple Cider Vinegar (Maceys)
*Baking Powder (Maceys Baking Case Lots)
*Baking Soda (Maceys Baking Case Lots)
*Beef and Chicken Base (from Costco--McCormick--I LOVE it, it's WAY cheaper than boulion cubes and tastes better!)
*Lipton Onion Soup Mix
*Yoshidas Sauce (from Costco and is great to have in case you need flavoring for your rice)
*Dehydrated Onions (cannery least expensive)
*Cornstarch (Case Lots)
*Cumin (my new favorite spice!!)
*Cocoa (Case Lots)

SOMETIMES (spices I use often but only buy in smaller quantaties):

*Allspice
*Nutmeg
*Dry Mustard
*Rosemary
*Salad Supreme
*Cayenne
*Red Pepper Flakes
*Curry Powder
*Ginger Powder
*Real Maple Syrup (kind of expensive, but worth it!)
*Cajun Seasoning
*Poppy Seeds
*Sesame Seeds
*Dill
*Sage
*Sesame Oil

RARELY (spices I use rarely and don't keep an extra of):
*Cream of Tartar
*Celery Salt
*Mollasas
*Coconut, orange, mint, peppermint, lemon, butter, almond extracts
*Paprika


The other day I went to Costco and spent around $50 and got TONS of the above spices to make sure I have enough spices in my food storage. Per oz. spices are the least expensive at Costco. If you don't want large quantaties like they sell, you can go to Harmons, Walmart or some Dollar Stores and buy the smaller sizes for only $1. This makes stocking up on spices reasonable and that way if you don't go through it before the spices lose their flavor, you won't feel sad about throwing it out. The really good seasonings like Montreal and Johnny's Seasoning Salt won't be found for $1 :(
Remember to think in 'meals' when you are buying items for your food storage. If one of your food storage meals is 'oatmeal' then you will need ALL of the ingredients (oats, raisins, CINNAMON, brown sugar, powdered milk, SALT, etc.) Spices are an important part of your food storage--so...have fun and spice it up!!



5 comments:

Emily May 24, 2008 at 11:35 PM  

Great tips! This helps me out a lot. I am going to share your blog with everyone I know!

Mary June 12, 2008 at 8:26 AM  

Thanks for the great tips! I noticed you listed Kirkland Taco Seasoning. I was at Costco this week and almost bought it but there are no directions for measurements. I hestitated because with food and gas prices as they are, I can't afford to waste many meals as I try to figure out how much to use to make good tacos. My experience is that taco meat really can't be spiced up much after it has cooked because it's the cooking process that blends and develops the flavors of the spices. Also, what else do you use the taco seasoning for? Do you use it for fajitas, enchiladas, baked chicken, etc.? I'm a single woman in a small condo so I don't have room in my kitchen for large containers of foods and spices I won't use much. I'd love to hear your advice and opinions!

Mary
Mukilteo, WA

Shandra July 30, 2008 at 11:11 AM  

I use taco seasoning in A LOT of things; taco meat, taco salad, burritos, enchilada, taco soup, white bean tortilla soup, bean dips, bean enchilada, fajitas, etc. It is a great all purpose seasoning! You can also make your own taco seasoning with many ingredients you already have in your pantry.

GG March 5, 2009 at 10:18 AM  

I get mine from sfherb.com. Other than being soo cheap, they are not irradiated!

Jane of all trades January 3, 2010 at 1:57 AM  

ever since winco opened I have resolved only to buy my spices from their bulk section. I can buy things that could cost $3+ for under 50 Cents

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP