My Food Storage Deals: It's Garden Time!

It's Garden Time!

>> Saturday, May 24, 2008



I am posting this blog to help encourage any of you who are debating whether or not to plant a garden to give it a try! I DO NOT have a 'green thumb' nor do I know much about gardening. Pretty much everything I plant, doesn't grow (except for tomatoes, zucchini and peppers--so that's about all I grow ;). However, I do know I LOVE having fresh produce from my garden and know it saves me TONS of money in the summer! I was reading a talk by President Ezra Taft Benson that had some good insight on why we should grow a garden. If you are interested, here it is...


"More than ever before, we need to learn and apply the principles of economic self-reliance. We do not know when the crisis involving sickness or unemployment may affect our own circumstances. We do know that the Lord has decreed global calamities for the future and has warned and forewarned us to be prepared. For this reason the Brethren have repeatedly stressed a “back to basics” program for temporal and spiritual welfare.

Today, I emphasize a most basic principle: home production and storage. Have you ever paused to realize what would happen to your community or nation if transportation were paralyzed or if we had a war or depression? How would you and your neighbors obtain food? How long would the corner grocery store—or supermarket—sustain the needs of the community?

An almost forgotten means of economic self-reliance is the home production of food. We are too accustomed to going to stores and purchasing what we need. By producing some of our food we reduce, to a great extent, the impact of inflation on our money. More importantly, we learn how to produce our own food and involve all family members in a beneficial project. No more timely counsel, I feel, has been given by President Kimball than his repeated emphasis to grow our own gardens. Here is one sample of his emphasis over the past seven years:

We encourage you to grow all the food that you feasibly can on your own property. Berry bushes, grapevines, fruit trees—plant them if your climate is right for their growth. Grow vegetables and eat them from your own yard.” (Ensign, May 1976, p. 124).
Many of you have listened and done as President Kimball counseled, and you have been blessed for it. Others have rationalized that they had no time or space. May I suggest you do what others have done. Get together with others and seek permission to use a vacant lot for a garden, or rent a plot of ground and grow your gardens. Some elders quorums have done this as a quorum, and all who have participated have reaped the benefits of a vegetable and fruit harvest and the blessings of cooperation and family involvement. Many families have dug up lawn space for gardens.
The Lord wants us to be independent and self-reliant because these will be days of tribulation. He has warned and forewarned us of the eventuality."


I had SO much fun planting our garden today with my kids. We were out there for several hours laughing and talking about the miracle of how a small little plant or seed will soon turn into a large plant with vegetables and fruit we can eat--SO amazing! My kids were extatic to see that for the first time (it's taken 3 years) our peach, apple and pear trees all have tiny little buds/fruit on them--bottling season here we come! Our garden is NOTHING special, but the feelings it creates within a family is priceless :)


***For all those experienced gardeners out there--what kind of a spray do I use for my fruit trees? I have never had buds or signs of fruit before and I would be devistated if we lost it all to bugs...help!! Thanks!!


2 comments:

Rob & Tiffanie May 26, 2008 at 3:27 PM  

I usually plant 3 tomato plants each year and get 30 large jars of tomatoes. I like to plant romas because they have less juice and bottle with less mess(their skins come right off.) I was on bedrest last year and couldn't bottle anything. Now I realize how much I relied on those tomatoes for pasta sauce and such. I have had to buy them this year and hate that I could have had them for free. Plus planting a garden is such a great experience for our family. My kids run out tho the garden every day seeing if anything new has grown. I can't get them to eat store bought-peas but peas from the garden are "treats".

Anonymous February 6, 2009 at 5:31 PM  

I had the same question when I planted fruit trees in my yard a couple years ago. There was so much information to weed through on the Internet confusion quickly set in so I simply went to the local nursery and asked them. Since bugs and virus stuff varies from State to State going to the nursery is your best bet.

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP