My Food Storage Deals: Food storage not so crazy after all?

Food storage not so crazy after all?

>> Monday, February 8, 2010


I am sure many of you have already heard these stories, but I thought they would be worth mentioning here on our 'food storage' blog. The idea of storing basic food and water to drink and eat doesn't seem so crazy anymore, does it? Between the earthquake in Haiti and the winter storms back east, they can teach us all a great lesson or two about being prepared!

Thankfully, the people back east were lucky to have a warning that the storm was coming. Most natural disasters come without any warning--this is when we will really find out if we are prepared or not. Better to prepare before, and not have to do last minute shopping and fight the crowds.

Here are a couple of paragraphs from a few news articles I found interesting:

Supermarkets 'ransacked' as snow storm smacks Washington


WASHINGTON (AFP) – As the second big snowstorm of the winter began dropping flakes on the US capital Friday, panicked parents grabbed their kids early from school and headed home to brace for what locals are calling "Snowpocalypse."

Many stopped off at supermarkets to stock up on last-minute provisions, but found others had already beaten them to it, emptying shelves of everything from soup to Super Bowl snacks and sidewalk salt.

Holly Bailey, a writer who lives in Washington's upscale Georgetown neighbourhood, described scenes of chaos at a local Whole Foods shop as genteel Washingtonians lost their cool in their rush to beat the big snow.

"The parking lot is road-rage central and there are people running down the street with bags trying to get in the store," Bailey told AFP.

"Yesterday, at one point they shut the store because there were so many people inside and they were letting in customers one-by-one as others came out. It was chaos. People were yelling. It was like a scene from a disaster movie," she said.
"I got there at 7:00 am and there were really long queues, and the place looked like it had been ransacked, especially the meat and veg sections," she told AFP.
"People are panicking. The shelves are almost empty. People are hoarding things like bottled water and canned food."

Mid-Atlantic shuts down ahead of huge snow warning
WASHINGTON – Shoppers jammed aisles and emptied stores of milk, bread and shovels Friday as a massive snowstorm blew into the Mid-Atlantic. Forecasters predicted a record 30 inches or more for the nation's capital, and authorities already were blaming the storm for the deaths of father-son Samaritans in Virginia.
In Alexandria, Va., James Ivery, 60, and his wife had already bought supplies but were back at a Harris Teeter supermarket to get out of the house one last time before the storm. Many shelves and bins were emptied of milk, vegetables, eggs and cold cuts. "It just seems like people are panicking."

Kudos to all those trying to prepared BEFORE we are compelled to!

6 comments:

Rebecca February 8, 2010 at 8:02 PM  

Yup. I live in the DC area and it was insane. I was SO glad I had food storage and was prepared... especially as we were some of the people without power. It also helped me re-evaluate what I need in my emergency prep box!

sherpa_atl February 9, 2010 at 8:22 AM  

How are folks heating their homes if they don't have power and no fireplace, just curious what are the best choices?

Kids and Canning Jars February 9, 2010 at 7:02 PM  

I have a blog and I check yours out all the time. You are so cute! I wanted to share this with you about natural disasters. I have it up on my blog and I am sharing it with a few good sites.
http://thesavingsqueen.blogspot.com/2010/02/top-100-things-to-disappear-in-disaster.html

Thanks for your insight!
Melissa

TLeaves February 10, 2010 at 4:39 PM  

I too am over here in Pennsylvania. Two storms in a row and close to 3 feet of snow and no place to put it. Kids have been out of school all week so far. It's just horrible, especially for them. But we're so lucky I've been storing food. Only thing I had to get was eggs and I went before the second storm came. Stores weren't so crowded that time. Am rethinking those powdered eggs, especially for baking. Haven't run out of power so far, so we're lucky that way. Most people who lose power are either using kerosene or gas heaters (like my mom who lost power) or go to "warming" shelters or stay with family.

Jenifer February 13, 2010 at 10:57 AM  

I totally LOVE your blog! I am a food hoarder.... I buy and buy for the "What if" times. I havent had to fall back on it for a long time but it is always nice to know its there and I wont be one of the ones rushing to the stores with everyone else to Stock up at the last minute!

Bug's Mom February 16, 2010 at 2:59 PM  

Hi I Love your site. I live in Ga and the amount of people who go crazy here is amazing during emergencies. Since I started our food storage last year we have not had to run out to get much of anything during these storms we have had. We were even stuck in our subdivision for a week during September floods when the entrance to our subdivision caved in. We were lucky. We had all we needed. I still have a long way to go but I just keep at it and pretty soon we will have what we need. I did get bummed out though because the snow caused me to miss out on a few deals oh well I will catch them next time.

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP