My Food Storage Deals: Strawberry Freezer Jam--does it get any better?

Strawberry Freezer Jam--does it get any better?

>> Thursday, June 4, 2009




Is there anything better than homemade strawberry jam? I have been waiting for strawberries to go on sale for a $1 a pound and last night when I was at Walmart they had them all marked down to $1. Yeah!! This is not their normal price, so call your Walmart and see if they have them for this sale price this week (I shop at the Riverton Utah Walmart). Sometimes Walmart strawberries are not the best quality, but the ones I got last night were huge and beautiful!

I don't have a favorite strawberry jam recipe, I just used the freezer jam recipe off of the liquid pectin box. It turned out perfectly and I had it done before the kids went to school this morning. We had whole wheat pancakes, strawberry jam and whipping cream...it was delightful! If you have never made homemade jam before, give it a try. It really is SO simple and is very economical if you buy the fruit on sale.

Here is my favorite whole wheat pancake recipe (this is a GREAT food storage meal, just substitute 2 c. water, 6 T. dry powdered milk and 2 T. lemon juice for the 2 c. buttermilk)

Buttermilk Pancakes
2 c. buttermilk
2 eggs
4 T. oil
2 T. sugar
2 t. baking powder
2 c. whole wheat flour
¾ t. salt
¾ t. soda

Beat until smooth. Pour and wait for bubbles to pop, then turn.

12 comments:

The MOM of 4 Greenstreets June 5, 2009 at 8:42 AM  

I made some wonderful strawberry freezer jam from the big bag of frozen strawberries I got from Costco. The price on them always seems like a deal -- but I could be wrong. I made the jam with the three berry blend from Costco as well.

Danielle June 5, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

this is one of my fav things about summer new batches of freezer jam yum

Carolyn June 5, 2009 at 3:28 PM  

I am making my Jam on Monday!

Ashlee June 7, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

It's on sale here in colorado for a 1 too!! I am going to the store tomorrow and buy some!

Meichelle June 8, 2009 at 10:38 PM  

I hope there are some left here in Utah! (I have been following your blog for a while, just decided to finally comment!)
:D

TeddieR June 9, 2009 at 11:26 PM  

wesome stuff. A book I have seen all over the place for food storage is "Marlene's Magic with Food Storage." Its full of hundreds of recipies. Highly recommend it!

BUT YUMMY! This is a great site and resource.

Thanks

Jennifer June 10, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

I use to make freezer jam until I ran out of freezer room and made a batch the "hard" way. My husband and kids loved it so much better that this year I only made one batch of freezer jam and the rest the "hard" way.

My neighbor pointed out that this way they also have a longer shelf life and I don't have to worry about my freezer going out. It also isn't as hard as I thought it was. I use liquid pectin and just follow the recipe that comes in the box.

Our Paper Plates June 11, 2009 at 4:51 PM  

Yummy! If anybody lives in the Metro-Phoenix valley, Superstition Ranch Market has smokin' deals on strawberries. I bought two 3 pound "crate-thingies" for three dollars. Sometimes you have to sift through some of them but its worth it! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Angela June 19, 2009 at 3:35 PM  

Your jam looks beautiful and yummy. Mmmmm!

Valerie June 20, 2009 at 9:10 AM  

I bought my strawberries this week from Walmart in Centerville on 6/17 for $1.00 for pound. And, I used the same containers in your picture! I only had half the recommended pectin, and it still worked. My 13 year-old daughter used a pastry dough blender (the hand thing with the 5 blades) to mash them up, which worked beautifully. Yum! PreparedLDSFamily.blogspot.com

Jeannetta June 24, 2009 at 12:12 AM  

30 pounds Jammed. I love summer, I love canning, and I love strawberries, so what can be more perfect?

Unknown June 24, 2009 at 12:23 AM  

I made mine the other day. This is the only homemade jam my kids will eat! Thanks for the inspiration.

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP