My Food Storage Deals: Great food storage recipe for chocolate mousse!

Great food storage recipe for chocolate mousse!

>> Thursday, May 28, 2009


When I saw this recipe I wondered how good this mousse could be without heavy whipping cream and chocolate chips...but, it was fabulous! I then realized that nearly ever ingredient can be found right in your long term food storage, so I thought I would share this easy homemade mousse recipe with you. It is also a great recipe to help you use up those evaporated milks in your storage.

I had some whole milk I needed to use up, so I used that in the recipe, but I bet you could substitute the 1 1/3 c. milk for 1 1/3 c. water and 4 T. dry powdered milk. Another great way to use your powdered milk. Who could turn down powdered milk in chocolate mousse?

Also, fresh strawberries, blueberries and raspberries are in season and accompanies the mousse perfectly! Enjoy!

Chocolate Mousse
1 egg
2/3 c. cocoa
3 T. cornstarch
1 can evaporated milk
1 1/3 c. milk (or 1 1/3 c. water & 4 T. powdered milk)
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 t. salt
1 t. vanilla

In a small bowl, lightly beat egg and set aside. Combine cocoa and cornstarch in a separate bowl. Whisk the evaporated milk into the cocoa mixture until completely smooth. In a large saucepan, combine milk, sugar, and salt. Mix well. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Remove pan from heat. Whisk cocoa mixture into hot milk mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove pan from heat. Gradually whisk 1 c. of hot cocoa mixture into the egg. Pour mixture back into pan. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Do not boil. Remove pan from heat. Add vanilla; blend well. Pour mousse into serving dishes. Cover and chill for 1 hour.

**When I made this it took a little while to thicken, but once it did, it was done in a few seconds. In fact, it got so thick that I don't think you would even need the eggs at the end to thicken even more.

5 comments:

Bliss May 30, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

I love your site! I live in Texas - but appreciate all your ideas, recipes etc. Thanks for sharing!!

cupcakefitz June 1, 2009 at 11:13 PM  

I would love it if you covered the Idaho area too! Is that a possibility?

Anonymous June 2, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

What a great little recipe! Cuz a girl's gotta have chocolate during an emergency, right? Did you know you can can chocolate, too, and that it will stay fresh? Love it. http://tinyurl.com/lgqv4z

Jen June 22, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

Thanks for this recipe, I made it tonight after FHE and everyone in our family loved it. We ate it hot because we couldn't wait for it to cool down! We dipped cookies in it - mmmm.

Carretera Panamericana October 19, 2023 at 9:06 PM  

Thanks for shharing

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP