My Food Storage Deals: Peaches, peaches, peaches

Peaches, peaches, peaches

>> Friday, November 7, 2008




This post is a little late in coming, now that peach season is over, I just wanted to encourage anyone that has room in their yard, to grow a peach tree. We planted two peach trees three years ago and this year we were able to enjoy the 'fruits' of our labor. We had peaches coming out our ears! We made peach cobbler, peach pie, peach cheesecake, peach jell-o, peach jam, gave peaches away to neighbors, bottled peaches, froze peaches, and ate them nearly every morning for breakfast...and we still have some left! Isn't that cool that you can produce your own food in your own yard? I love it!! So..this is just an encouragement for anyone out there that would like to plant fruit trees. We bought our tree at the end of the season at IFA for around $25, check your local stores and see if they still have them and if they would still be okay to plant. You may have to be patient for a few years, but then you will get your reward. Our pear tree and apple tree also produced well this year. I guess three years is the lucky number. Give it a try ;)
Here is my Grandma Lucy's Peach Jam Recipe that I love. It is lower in sugar, so a little better for you:
6 c. peaches, mashed (skins removed)
1 pkg. pectin
1/4 c. lemon juice
Stir above ingredients and let sit for 5 minutes. Bring to a rolling boil and add 5 c. sugar. Mix well and continue to boil for 5 more minutes (at FULL boil). Check jam after 5 minutes with a metal spoon. If the spoon is coated with jam and if the jam is no longer runny, then jam is done. If it is not thick enough, you can continue to boil for 5-10 more minutes or until thick. When done, put in canning jars and wet bathe them for 30 minutes, or freeze them.

7 comments:

chelsea mckell November 9, 2008 at 10:55 AM  

question: and this might be dumb... but do the skins really HAVE to be removed?! I hate to waste them.... that's where so much of the nutrients and fiber are! What would happen if I just left them on!?

Heidi November 11, 2008 at 1:20 PM  

What does it mean to wet bathe them for 30 minutes? Sorry - I don't yet have any canning experience...

Nate and Steph & Brooke November 11, 2008 at 2:46 PM  

Hi! I have really enjoyed all of your tips and the time you spend helping us!
I do have a comment about your food storage Pizza Dough recipe. In the ingredients it says to use 1 t. sugar and 3 t. salt. So I made it that way and the dough was too salty! I was just wondering if that was a mistake. I am no cook I just read what is there and make it. Also, when do you add the oil and what temp. do you cook it? Thanks, again for all of your help!

Shandra November 12, 2008 at 7:51 AM  

I am sure you could keep the skins on. As long as you puree it well enough, it should be fine. Give it a try ;)

Also, I apologize about the pizza dough recipe. It is 3 t. sugar and 1 t. salt. I will have to double check my recipe and make sure it is right. Sorry!!

Laurel November 13, 2008 at 7:30 PM  

Hey! I've just discovered your blog and I must say I love what you are doing. I also am a canner and believe in growing as much food as possible in my yard. So, I wonder what kind of peaches are those and do you have problems like worms or birds getting your fruit first?

Shandra November 13, 2008 at 9:08 PM  

This may seem silly to some, but I do a lot of praying over my garden. My children have even began to pray that our garden to do well, and wether it was luck or not, I saw very few worms and overall the fruit (& vegetables in my garden) were amazing! Who would have thought, God was more powerful than bug spray :) Just kidding!

P.S.--They are Oh Henry peaches I believe. We bought it so long ago I don't remember exactly :)

Laurel November 14, 2008 at 1:15 PM  

We also "cry unto him over the crops of your fields..." Unfortunately, we only have a small spot that isn't shaded all day where I put the all-important tomatoes. I suppose I will choose something a little out of the ordinary for those cool spots next year. Ever try brussel sprouts?

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP