My Food Storage Deals: Delicious Indian Naan Bread

Delicious Indian Naan Bread

>> Saturday, March 28, 2009


If you have ever been to an Indian resteraunt, the Naan bread they serve is SO delicious! They are light, buttery, garlicy, and YUMMY! We served these with a pasta dish, but would be great with a curry dish. If you get tired of making the same bread recipe, this one is fun for a change.

Naan
2 3/4 cups flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 egg
1/2 cup plain lowfat yogurt or sour cream
1/2 cup milk

In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl by hand), stir together the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and yeast. In a small bowl, mix together the egg, yogurt, and milk. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir for about 1 minute, until the dry ingredients are completely incorporated into the wet ingredients.

Increase machine speed to 2 (or by hand) and knead the dough until it is smooth and shiny. Remove the bowl from the mixer and cover with a towel. Leave in a warm place to rise until the dough doubles in size, about an hour.

Put a baking stone or heavy baking sheet on the lowest rack of your oven. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees for at least 30 minutes prior to baking.

Divide the dough into eight pieces and form into teardrop (mine were more like oval) shapes with your hands, about 6 to 8 inches across.

Cook two or three pieces at a time. Drop the dough onto the hot stone and shut the oven door, watching until they are just starting to turn brown in places, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Remove the naan and lay on a board. Butter the naan with garlic butter after it comes out of the oven.

6 comments:

Ruby March 29, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

I took into Walmart an add to match $1.88 per lb for chicken. They would not match the price because the add was for Albertson chicken and Walmart does not offer Great Value chicken. The only chicken I could choose from was Valley Farm and Tyson.

Claudine March 29, 2009 at 8:17 PM  

I made these for dinner tonight, and I had no idea my baking stone was so dirty, because at the high temp it smoked up my whole house! But it was worth it because the naan was very yummy and my kids loved it! Thanks for the recipe!

Angela March 30, 2009 at 2:42 AM  

Yum, this sounds fabulous! I can't wait to try it!!

Fackrell Fam March 30, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

I just need to face the facts...I am never going to be able to cook like SHandra and Diana! I TRIED to make the bread for dinenr today, and it sure did not look anything like yours-probably didn't even taste like yours! One of these days, I am hoping to get some private lessons to make me a better cook from the master sisters!

irbuanosraL April 3, 2009 at 3:11 PM  

You don't know me, but I love you!!!

Thanks for being my inspiration. ☺
A

Anonymous May 5, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

Oh yes, LOVE naan - particularly when it's crispy, golden with melted butter and garlic fresh out of the oven. Mmmm...

http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP