My Food Storage Deals: Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins

Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins

>> Tuesday, March 30, 2010


I was looking through a cookbook and found a couple of recipes that I thought looked good. I love having healthy (okay..somewhat healthy) after school snacks for the kids--or else they ransack the pantry looking for granola bars and fruit snacks. These muffins seemed like they would be worth trying. I have to admit, they were pretty good! My husband did say that he thought they were a little too healthy (I tend to do that--hey, at least I didn't put pureed beans in them!) They have a VERY dense texture, but I feel like they would fill the kids up and would be great in lunches. We have three friends over and they all came back for seconds :)

I happened to have flax seed on hand, so these muffins worked great to get rid of those. If you don't, I would assume you could use more flour or oats in it's place.

Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins
1 egg
1/4 c. canola oil
1/2 c. applesauce
4 bananas
3 T. sour cream
1 t. vanilla


Mix above ingredients together.

1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. flax (if you have flax in seed form, put in a blender with the wet mixture above for 1 minute until well blended)
1 1/4 c. quick oats
1/3 c. brown sugar or honey
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 c. raisins or craisins
1/2 c. chocolate chips (optional)


Mix together the wet ingredients. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Put muffins in a greased muffin tin and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes (until they are browned on top and have a cake-like texture). You could use all raisins or all chocolate chips--personally I think chocolate makes everything taste better!

Another great recipe to use up that food storage!

5 comments:

Trimble April 2, 2010 at 2:17 PM  

I noticed a while back that you had bought carrots when they were super cheap, shredded them and put them in the freezer. Have you ever done this with potatoes?

Shandra April 3, 2010 at 8:16 PM  

Carrots, celery, and onions work great in the freezer for later. Potatoes would not work as well because they will go brown when they are exposed to the air. I am sure there is a way around this, but I find it easier to watch the sales and buy pre-shredded hash browns and just keep those stocked in your freezer. If you watch the sales you can get 2lbs. of hash browns for around $1.25. That is worth my time :)

Hope that helps.

Trimble April 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM  

Thanks so much for the help and your great blog!

Anonymous April 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM  

I have the long cooking Oats in my storage - could they be used in the Muffin recipe??

Heather Adam October 25, 2021 at 9:05 AM  

Thanks for the post

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP