My Food Storage Deals: Money Saving Tip

Money Saving Tip

>> Wednesday, February 3, 2010


I was making a recipe the other day that called for 3 cans of chicken broth. I couldn't remember if I have shared my chicken broth tip with you or not? There are several items in my kitchen that are 'must haves'--for example: lime juice (we go through this like water in our kitchen), Montreal Steak Seasoning, Costco's Garlic Spread, etc. The list could go on and on. One must have in my kitchen though is Chicken and Beef Base or Bouillon.

Many recipes call for chicken/beef broth or chicken bouillon in recipes and to buy it by the can is extremely expensive. I was just at Walmart the other day and their Great Value can of chicken broth was almost $1--ugh! If you add 3-4 cans in a recipe that is an expensive addition.

So, the tip: Keep your kitchen well stocked with Chicken and Beef Base (this is least at Costco or Sam's Club-McCormick or Tone's makes are good brands) and large #10 cans of Chicken and Beef Bouillon (you can get this online, Maceys, or most Walmarts).

I keep a glass mason jar in my spice cabinet filled with the chicken and beef bouillon so I can easily measure out a tablespoon or teaspoon, add with water and use in my favorite recipes. The chicken and beef base needs to be kept in the fridge once it is open, but will last at least a year once it is opened. The base is a little more expensive but has an awesome flavor, so I ration that on my 'high end meals' and use the powdered bouillon for large soups, stews, etc.

These are also great items to have in your food storage in the event we had to live out of our storage and eat all of our dried beans, rice, noodles, etc. we would want some flavor!

That is probably the longest post in history about bouillon, but it really is one of my FAVE items in my kitchen! Have fun cooking!

**One other benefit is they are MSG free!

5 comments:

Wendy February 3, 2010 at 9:41 PM  

Another plus for the base - it typically doesn't have MSG (a big headache causer at our house). The chicken base is a little more expensive, but is worth it for us to dodge this additive. It's still cheaper than the broth.

Trimble February 4, 2010 at 8:02 PM  

Thank you so much for this information. Do you happen to know what the equivalent of these two products would be for a can of broth measurement wise? Or is that information on the container?

Rachel February 5, 2010 at 6:19 PM  

I enjoy reading this site about how to use more items from my food storage. MSG is the reason I stopped using bouillon - the few bases I have seen have it as well but I am glad to hear Wendy report that some don't. I use this website all the time to help me identify the ingredients that contain processed free glutamic acid (MSG)
http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html
While some people are more sensitive to it than others it is bad for everyone. It has made me give up Cheddar Goldfish crackers for the kids (autolyzed yeast extract-the original flavor doesn't have it), anything from Campbells (they use quite a few different kinds) and pretty much all flavored chips (Nacho Cheese Doritos has 6 differents kinds of msg-laden ingredients). I now buy the broth in the quart containers which is less expensive than the cans but sometimes have trouble using it all before it goes bad. It is more expensive than the bouillon, but that is the choice I've made for me and my family. We'll just use regular spices to flavor our food storage - I am working on making sure we have enough.

John February 9, 2010 at 7:28 AM  

Thanks for your practical suggestions.
As for food sensitivities, The Ready Store is categorizing the storage food it sells according to whether it's vegetarian, soy or corn free, etc.
http://www.destinysurvival.com

williamswildbunch February 11, 2010 at 2:05 PM  

You can also buy chicken base in the bulk foods section at WinCo. I believe it is much cheaper than what is mentioned above

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP