My Food Storage Deals: Homemade Salsa & Canned Chili

Homemade Salsa & Canned Chili

>> Friday, October 2, 2009

This is one of my favorite fall activities..to make homemade salsa and chili with all of the tomatoes from our garden. The great thing about making salsa and chili at the same time is that they are made with pretty close to the same ingredients, so you save steps my doing them together. The base of salsa and chili is pureed tomatoes (keep the skins ON and just puree them until smooth in a food processor), chopped peppers, onions, garlic, and jalapenos (chop those in your food processor as well). There are two MUST haves when making large batches of chili and salsa..a large roaster pan (I use this for everything, it holds a lot and can cook up to 500 degrees if needed) and a food processor. These two items simplify the process and make cooking time MUCH easier.

For the homemade chili, I don't have an exact recipe (sorry!), I just dump in a bunch of ingredeints, taste it and play around with several different spices. Here is the steps though to making homemade chili (from DRY beans..a GREAT way to use those dried beans in your storage).

First, I cook about 12-15 c. of DRIED pinto beans in my roaster pan with twice as much water as beans. I pour about 1/4 c. of baking soda in with the beans and water (this is supposed to help the beans cook faster and cut down on the 'gasiness' of the beans--or, is that just rumor??) I then boil the beans until they are soft which takes about 4-6 hours (or longer if your beans are older).


(cooking the dried beans)
Once the beans are soft I try to take out as much of the 'bean water' as I can (it gets dark and gray). I then puree about 4 processor containers full of garden tomatoes (rinsed and pureed--with skins on). This is probably about 30-40 tomatoes.


I then puree about 3-4 bell peppers, 3 large onions, 5 cloves of garlic all together in the processor. I then pour the tomatoes and pepper/onion mixture into the beans and let it simmer another couple of hours until the chili begins to get thick (with the lid off). I then saute about 4-5lbs. of sausage and 1-2 lbs. of hamburger (you can use all one or the other, or use turkey burger to make it even healthier...or, omit the meat all together and have a meatless chili).

I then add the seasonings and meat into the chili--thyme, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, chili powder, salt & pepper, etc. I then add about 6 cans of tomato sauce and a little water if the chili is too thick. Let it simmer until ready to serve and you are set!

Now..what do we do with all of this chili you ask? Well, my husband has a yearly 'fall kick-off' party at our house where we serve navajo tacos to all of our friends and family, watch a scary movie, and eat lots of 'fall' desserts--pumpkin rolls, cinnamon rolls, and pumpkin cookies...yum! With the chili that is left (there is always still LOTS left), I freeze in gallon freezer bags for later freezer meals. I love having chili in the freezer for quick meal ideas (chili dogs, chili & cornbread, navajo tacos, etc.). Chili freezes great and even gets better and more flavorful the longer it sits. YUM, YUM, YUM!!



If you would like my favorite recipe for bottled and fresh salsa, visit our blog www.dealstomeals.blogspot.com :)

9 comments:

The Bullocks October 7, 2009 at 10:54 AM  

hey, I'd just thought I'd share. I was at Wallmart (in jordan landing) and they had all of their morning moo's milk, eggs, and other stuff on sale for 50% off. I was excited and thought it was a good time to stock up on it. I don't know if it's at all the wallmarts, but it is at that one.

Stacy October 8, 2009 at 6:25 PM  

I also just learned that you can use a canner to cook a large amount of dry beans. I thought that was a good idea!

Athena October 10, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

Just a question about your weekly chicken and dumplings recipe--do you cook the biscuits before you put them in the crocker, or do they cook in there?

sherri October 13, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

Great chili recipe! We really enjoyed it, and will be using leftovers for chili dogs, cornbread casserole, etc.

I think the tip about the baking soda really works too. This was the first time I tried it, and no "side effects"! Hooray!

Jeanne October 22, 2009 at 11:10 PM  

This may sound dumb, but after you put something in a freezer bag to store, how do you go about unfreezing it? -fridge, counter top until it's unfrozen enough to get out of the bag? I love the idea of making lots and freezing some for another day don't know a lot about the whole process.

Jeanne October 22, 2009 at 11:16 PM  

Second question- what temp do you cook the beans for that many hours and if it is a roaster pan, does that mean it's in the oven?

I feel so embarrassed asking these questions, but I need to find out so I can start being a better meal cooker.

Shandra October 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

Sorry! There are roasters for the oven, and then there are the electric roasters that is like a large crock pot. You can adjust the temperature and cook your food at a higher temperature which is nice. YOu can get them at Walmart or at any store that sells household items.

Shandra October 25, 2009 at 8:49 PM  

I either just microwave the item I am thawing out, or I just leave it on the counter until it is mostly thawed and then pour it into a pan to warm thoroughly.

~toni October 27, 2009 at 7:24 AM  

what size roaster are you using 16-18 qt or 22 qt?

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP