My Food Storage Deals: Freezer Frenzie!

Freezer Frenzie!

>> Thursday, October 15, 2009


Most of you won't think it is hard to believe that I have three freezers. You know, the crazy food storage lady and all..why wouldn't I have three freezers :) Yes, two of them are fridge/freezers and one is a chest freezer. Before you think I am crazy and that my food will just go bad if the power goes out..I do have a generator and gasoline :)

Freezers however, are a secret to saving you $100's on your monthly grocery bill! To be able to stock up your freezer when prices are low on meat, cheese, dairy products, bread/tortillas, vegetables, fruit, etc., it can save you a lot of money on your food bill. I don't know what I would do without my freezers, especially the deep freeze. Here are a few pictures of my messy freezers (unorganized and all)..but, boy do they make me happy!!



Many people ask me what I think about Walmart meat. Well, I don't love it, that is for sure! I have had a few bad steaks and hamburger, so I have kind of sworn off Walmart meat (unless it is Tyson Chicken). I am sure all of their meat is not bad, but I have found a new favorite place to buy meat. First, Harmon's meat is always excellent quality, however it RARELY goes on sale for a great price. When it does though, I stock up my freezer--I LOVE their hand trimmed chicken breasts.

My other favorite place is Sunflower Market over by Fashion Place Mall in Murray, Utah. They have Sunflower Market's all over Arizona, Nevada, Texas, etc. Visit their website for store locations www.sfmarkets.com

Not only do they have high quality meat, it is also all natural, hormone free, no preservatives, as well. I feel better about that, whether it really matters or not. I just went to Sunflower yesterday and bought about 15 pork roasts ($1.77/lb.) and 10 packages of chicken breasts ($1.67/lb.). I spent under $90 and saved $166! My freezer is PACKED with pork and chicken!



They also have amazing sales on their produce and it is all really good quality. If you shop there on Wednesday's they honor their LAST weeks ad as well as THIS WEEKS ad prices--so, double the savings. Beware though, the store is packed on Wednesdays! I had to wait in line for the butcher to bring out more meat..it was crazy, but fun!!

11 comments:

Brittney October 15, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

when you store that much meat, do you pack it in aluminum foil or do you freeze as is? do you have issues with freezer burn?

onlymehere October 16, 2009 at 6:22 AM  

How about good nutrition for those of us who rarely eat meat? We just don't really like meat, my kids either. I worry about us getting enough protein. This is why I don't miss having a deep freeze, we just never really used it for anything but bread and vegetables. Help!!

Anonymous October 16, 2009 at 8:31 AM  

While applaud your food storage I do have a question about your refrig/freezers. Are they energy star? If not, how much do they add to your electric bill?

I would love to have a separate freezer to take advantage of the BOGO meat deals at our local WinnDixie. We are on very limited funds so watch our electric bill extremely closely, and would rather buy food than pay for electric. We cannot go over $100 per month and that includes central air that is a necessity (has been mid 90s, high humidity, little wind and full sun).

clschaan October 16, 2009 at 11:08 AM  

I would've thought you would invest in buying a whole pig or cow and have it slaughtered .. oh and I've heard that the way Tyson Chicken is raised is horrendous

The Payne Family October 19, 2009 at 6:04 PM  

Hey I'm here to tell you... Wal-mart meat has gotten a TON better in the last few months. I used to hate their meat but lately, they have been awesome! I've made some awesome crock-pot roast that my husbands says are the best ever and I've bought them at Wal-Mart. Also, I stocked up on some of the steaks for this week (best deal... they were on sale for $1.89 per lb, normally $4.89) and they actually turned out really good. I don't know, Wal-Mart meat is starting to grow on me :)

Liz October 20, 2009 at 9:08 AM  

I know the butcher at our local Reams. He says that the best way to prepare meat for deep/long term freezing, is to wrap it in 'freezer paper'. You can find the paper in the aluminum/plastic wrap section of your store. Instructions on how to wrap are on the box of freezer paper: write the contents and date on the outside with a pen. Wrapping this way, the butcher said, will keep meat for a year or more.

I have a question: Shandra, do you have specs for your wooden shelving in your storage room? I need to update my storage room shelves, and would love your demensions, and wood cuts, etc.. Thanks!

Candi October 20, 2009 at 9:27 AM  

I have to agree with you - Walmart meat has been some of the worst I have ever tasted. I LOVE, LOVE the stuff at Sunflower Market! And if I can't get it there, then I've found the stuff at Maceys is pretty good. Harmon's is the best, but like you said, it is RARELY ever on sale for a good price.

bsurrounded October 20, 2009 at 2:26 PM  

Could you suggest a way to keep track of what is in the freezer. Mine is even messier than yours and who knows what is in there. I love to be organized and I have thought that maybe I could just have some sort of chart attached to the freezer that I could write on and cross stuff off as I use it. Any suggestions?

~Diana~ October 21, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

Woo hoo! I'm your 200th follower!

Karen Scoffield October 25, 2009 at 4:59 PM  

Quick question...when you say "the deep freeze" are certain freezers deep freeze and others are not? If so, what is the difference?

Shandra October 25, 2009 at 7:15 PM  

A deep freezer is the chest looking ones that are narrow and deep. There are stand up freezers or mini freezers as well. Just find the one that works best for you. The chest freezers are probably the most popular, but they do tend to 'loose' your food if you are not careful about keeping track of what is in them. The deep freezers also come in a variety of sizes.

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP