My Food Storage Deals: Shelving facts...

Shelving facts...

>> Tuesday, September 8, 2009


Here are some quick facts about the food storage shelves my fabulous hubby built in our basement. Our storage room is not very big, but thanks to his great shelves, it actually fits a lot! Having a 'food storage room' really helps makes rotating and using your food storage MUCH easier. Try to organize your food storage room like a grocery store. Keeping it organized will help you be able to store more food, but also make it easier to use and rotate through.

For those of you who have asked for more details on our shelves, here it is:

Todd's Shelving Facts: The dimensions of our cold storage room is about 15ft. x 5ft. I used 16” deep shelves that are around 12” apart. This holds almost every case of food that you can buy. Since the shelving sheets I purchased were 4’x8’ that also meant that I could cut exactly three 16”x8’ shelves out of each sheet without any waste. I also made my first shelf 24” off the ground for any of the larger cases, buckets, or tubs that we use. We have a “cold-storage” room that is all cement built directly below our front porch, so it is a great climate control for our stored food. As far as the material goes you can use the ½” thick shelving sheets and then brace them underneath with a 2x2 or 2x4, or you can use a ¾” sheet and support the shelf every 3-4 feet with a vertical brace.

I hope that helps :)

3 comments:

Anonymous September 12, 2009 at 7:04 PM  

I just discovered your blog. What a fabulous thing you have done and are doing. You've inspired me to improve my food storage for my family of six! We have tried here and there to get our year's supply together, but it doesn't really consist of "meals" that my family would actually eat like you mentioned. Red wheat and top ramen probably wouldn't go over too well with the kiddos three times a day! Your storage room is so nicely organized- looks like a store! I'm very impressed. I think my husband could build shelves like that for me from the info. you gave about them! Thank you and thanks for the inspiration.
Oh and don't you ever be shy when voicing your political opinions! If someone is offended- than oh well. I'm offended every day of my life by what people say and think, by moral issues,(or the lack of morals) political actions, and the media- but no one cares to cater to me! Why is it that the minority usually speaks the loudest??? It's time we stand up for our children's sake and battle for a better world to bring them up in! Great job with your blog. Love it!

Anonymous October 11, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

I love to see all that food storage! You must feel so secure. One idea that has helped us to rotate our can goods is to use those can rotater shelf things. Not the pricey ones but we found some less expensive ones at Canorganizer.com that work just as well. They have kept us from loseing those 1980 cans in the back.

Deep Cleaning Missoula August 2, 2022 at 10:11 PM  

Great read, thankyou

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP