My Food Storage Deals: Would you like some chocolate with your zucchini?

Would you like some chocolate with your zucchini?

>> Wednesday, July 29, 2009


I LOVE summer for the fresh vegetables grown in your garden. My garden is nothing to write home about, but every year we seem to be able to grow an adequate amount of zucchini and tomatoes (my two favorite garden veggies). After making stir fry, zucchini & eggs (a family favorite--try it, you will be amazed at how good it is), putting zucchini in soups and pastas, etc...I was ready for something sweet. I love the traditional zucchini bread with cinnamon, but last night wanted something chocolatey. This bread hit the spot (although I would put even more chocolate chips in it next time :)

Here is a great, moist chocolate zucchini bread recipe:

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
3 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 c. wheat flour)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/2 oil and 1/2 applesauce)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (or more)

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
In large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt, mix well. In separate bowl, combine sugar and eggs, beat until well blended. Add oil and vanilla; beat until combined. Stir in zucchini. Add flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Spoon evenly into loaf pans.
Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pans; cool completely on wire rack.

6 comments:

Nikki July 30, 2009 at 8:09 AM  

This bread is delicious my kids can't get enough of it. I told them I was going to have to get the recipe from you so I could make some, and you seem to have read my mind. Thanks.

Jackie July 30, 2009 at 11:36 AM  

Would you be willing to post your zucchini and eggs recipe?

Deborah Raymond July 30, 2009 at 5:38 PM  

Thank you for all you do. I've sent your link to everyone in my email list no matter where they live because there is so much goo in here... God continue to bless your efforts and all the rest of us to be wise with such great help from you!

Melodie August 2, 2009 at 5:37 PM  

Thank you for posting this. I've had chocolate zucchini before but never got the recipe. I was wanting to make some this week since I have an over abundance of zucchini. Please post more of your favorite zucchini recipes. I need more ideas.

Jonni August 3, 2009 at 4:29 PM  

Her is an amzing Chocolate Zucchini Cake recipe! It is a family favorite and put the recipe in my relief Society Bulletin last month.We had a community Stake garden and everyone had Zucchini out the wazoo! It was a hit!

1/2 C. Butter
1/2 C. OIl
1 3/4 C. Sugar
2 Eggs
2 C. Grated Zucchini
1/2 C. Buttermilk ( or sub. it with 1/2 TBSP vinegar added to 1/2 regular milk and let sit for 5 minutes before adding)
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 1/2 C. flour
4 TBSP Cocoa
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Soda
1 tsp. baking Powder

* Combine and mix all ingredients. Pour into greased, 9x13 pan. Sprinkle 3/4 cup Brown Sugar over top and 1 Bag milk chocolate chips on top of that. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

Angela August 4, 2009 at 2:48 AM  

Yum! I remember when my Mom used to trick my Dad by putting zucchini in brownies and see if he could tell (since he hates zucchini). Good stuff!

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP