My Food Storage Deals: Using up those delicious garden vegetables!

Using up those delicious garden vegetables!

>> Saturday, July 18, 2009




This recipe has been around the block on many food blogs lately, but I had to give it a try to use up those garden tomatoes! I loved the freshness of the tomato and the savory garlic and cheese flavor...delightful! We dipped this bread in an olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and Parmesan cheese mixture. We felt like we were at Macaroni Grill. (Yes, I tripled the batch--I can't do anything in small quantities!)

Herbed Tomato Focaccia
1 ¼ c. warm water
1 T. yeast
2 T. honey
1 t. salt
3 ½ c. flour
¼ c. olive oil
2 T. fresh or dried rosemary—chopped
2 large tomatoes—sliced thin
½ c. asiago or Parmesan cheese--shredded
Kosher salt (opt.)
Olive oil to brush the top of bread

Combine water, yeast, salt, oil and honey in a large bowl and let sit until foamy. Add the flour and knead well. Place in an oiled bowl and let rise to double. Punch down and roll out to 1/4” thickness. Place on an oiled pan and lightly brush the top of the bread with olive oil. Sprinkle with cheese and rosemary and top with tomato slices. Let rise to double again. Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes.


QUICK GARDEN VEGETABLE SIDE DISH
One of my other favorite ways to use the vegetables from my garden (or ones you buy at the store) is this quick and healthy vegetable side dish. There isn't a fancy name for this recipe, it's just something I throw together for a quick side dish and a way to get my kids to eat their vegetables. I just coarsely chop up any vegetables I have on hand in the fridge (zucchinis (there's always tons of those going around!), onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, etc.) and toss them in a drizzle of olive oil (or you can use butter for more flavor). I sprinkle the veggies with Montreal Steak Seasoning (my ALL time favorite seasoning!) and Johnny's Garlic Spread (my second favorite seasoning--both you can get at Costco in BULK!!) and put it in the oven on a cooking stone. I broil this at 450 degrees until the vegetables are slightly soft and have a few crispy edges (like they were grilled on the barbie). Put your pan down on the lowest rack to prevent burning. You can also just bake these vegetables, but I like the crispiness of the veggies verses the soggy-overcooked flavor baking gives. This is just a quick option to skewered vegetables without all of the skewering! I served these tonight with the Teriyaki Pork from this weeks menu planner and it was AWESOME!!

7 comments:

Brandon Vandermyde July 21, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

I went to make this and I didn't see if you specified how much sugar to use?

Shandra July 23, 2009 at 8:45 PM  

There is acctually no sugar, just 2 T. honey :)

Shandra July 23, 2009 at 8:45 PM  

I see.. the instructions say sugar, but the recipe says honey--I could see how that is confusing :) It is honey, not sugar. Thanks! I will make the change.

Rachel August 7, 2009 at 11:22 AM  

This looks delicious and I'm planning to attempt to make it tonight! But I have what is probably a silly question - what kind of yeast did you use? Was it quick-rising or the regular stuff in the little packets? If it's the packet kind, do you think just 1 packet is enough for this recipe?

Shandra August 8, 2009 at 9:54 PM  

I just use the Red Star yeast from Costco. I am pretty sure it is just dry instant yeast :)

Jackie August 10, 2009 at 7:04 AM  

I'm curious. You said you liked the garlic and cheese flavor of the focaccia, but there is no garlic in the recipe. Did you add some in and if so, how?

Glitter Density January 9, 2024 at 1:51 PM  

Thankks for writing

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP