My Food Storage Deals

>> Thursday, November 13, 2008



A QUESTION WORTH DISCUSSING:
"I can understand stocking up on food when you get a good deal. I even understand having enough food in case of an emergency. But, to keep a year’s worth of canned and boxed food seems extreme.I’ve become increasingly aware of eating well and living a healthy lifestyle. I eat much more fresh foods than canned and boxed. The FDA agrees that the food we eat today doesn’t have all the nutrition we need. A lot of that is processed out, especially in things like white flour and sugar.Wouldn’t it be healthier to eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, cut back on the processed foods and chemicals, and take a better vitamins?"~Marilyn

MY REPLY:
You have some great points! A year supply is an individual/families decision and should be thoughtfully discussed and prayed about—it may not feel right or even be an option for some people to store a year suply. However, a year supply is NOT an excessive amount of food. It seems like it would be, but it really isn't when you have it. It really is just an economical way to live and eat. By storing the items your family eats on a regular basis, and buying them when they are on sale, you are saving SO much money, as well as preparing for an emergency or hard time that may come to your family. Whether you are obtaining a year supply of food for spiritual reasons, or just to save money, you will find it is the smart way to live. Items generally only go on sale one to two times a year. If you stock up when they do, and buy enough to get you through until they go on sale again, you are saving money & time.

So what do we store? I agree with you on the processed foods. I buy VERY little preprocessed foods. Food storage does not need to be only items in a can or box, this is a common myth! The items I have in my storage are the basics..wheat, grains, barley, oats, dry beans, flour, honey, sugar, powdered milk, pastas, baking items, fruit (low sugar), vegetables, olive oil, salt, canola oil, dried fruit, I bottle my own fruit and meat as well to cut back on chemicals and processed items. These are basic, healthy food storage items, and that is what we have been asked to store (along with any other items your family eats on a regular basis). It is also important, like you said, to also eat what is in season. Definitely eating lots of fruits and vegetables is an important part of your diet. When you eat what is in season (which is usually on sale, and those foods you can grow in your own backyard) you do get added vitamins and nutrients that your body needs. Not all families can eat this way, but for me I have found that making nearly everything from scratch (from items in my food storage and freezer) and supplementing with fresh fruits and vegetables, it not only saves money, but helps my family eat and live more healthy.

In a world where life can be so busy and overwhelming, it is easy to see though why families have navigated to eating more of the quick and easy meals, along with the processed foods. It does take time and patience to find what will work for your individual family. With a little preperation and perhaps a few good recipes, you too can begin to live a more simplified and healthy life. I know I could use more of that, and am grateful we are not asked to be perfect, but are just asked to do our best! ;)

9 comments:

Preds Girl November 13, 2008 at 4:56 PM  

WOW. This is such a great post: very thought out; makes perfect sense; has great information and reasoning. Nice job! I love having a food storage, for both spiritual and economical reasons, and this just solidified my love of food storage even more! You are such an inspiration!

Anonymous November 13, 2008 at 7:14 PM  

I agree I think this was a great comment to make. I have struggled with coupon cutting, and deal getting, because a lot of what is on sale is not what I buy normally. I think lots of people get too caught up in the saving a buck and they are buying things they don't buy normally or food that isn't good for them. I have learned to see what is on sale, see if it fits my needs, or if it is something I use in my storage. Occasionally I do buy things I don't use a lot of, and then when the holidays come around, I donate them. It has been quite a learning process, and a LOOKING process---I have to keep my eyes open for the things I buy that are healthy, and only buy those!

Diana November 13, 2008 at 8:25 PM  

Amen, Sister!

Anonymous November 14, 2008 at 5:32 AM  

I have a very similar question. I in storage mode and we do not buy vegetables, we eat our of our garden, but then our storage list lacks veggies. So buy stuff we don't eat, "just in case" we need it? or keep gardening. Does that make sense?

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} November 17, 2008 at 10:36 PM  

I stumbled upon your blog and enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks for a great blog.

The original question addressed in this post has intrigued me as well. I know a lot of people who use coupons to buy their food storage. I've tried doing the coupon thing and it seems like the majority of food items that you can buy with coupons are unhealthy snacks and treats and food with little or no nutrition. Many of the testimonial pictures I see listed in this blog also contain these types of foods. I personally prefer to eat and store whole grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables. Then how are coupons going to save me any money?

Heidi November 19, 2008 at 7:38 AM  

This has nothing to do with this post - but can I just say I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS WEEK'S MEAL PLANNER! YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

Shaylyn November 22, 2008 at 12:04 PM  

I started out doing coupons hot and heavy until I found "my food storage desl." Now I am cooking more, my kids are eating better because they don't have the chicken nuggetts/corn dogs as a choice for dinner, and I am spending at least half of what I was while couponing and getting more store-able things. I still get my Grandma's ads and if there is a really good coupon for canned vegis or something, I will round up more but I am happier and have more time with the type of stock piling taught through this program. Thanks so much.

chelsea mckell November 23, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

excellent post.

I think the person who posted that comment about "healthy" foods is confused about what the PURPOSE of this blog is. EMERGENCY preparedness. Of course we need to try and eat fresh, unprocessed foods on a daily basis. But if (when) the unthinkable happens and those aren't available, processed foods are going to be what keeps us from dying.

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} December 11, 2008 at 9:05 PM  

Brian and Chelsea...I don't want to keep pressing this issue, but I have to disagree with you on this one. I think that whether or not the "unthinkable" happens, unprocessed foods are always our better option. Whole grains and legumes store almost indefinitely. In comparison, processed foods have short shelf lives. It's good to have can goods on hand for short-term food storage (Like a 3-mo. supply), but I don't believe cookies and crackers and chips and soda fall into the "necessary" category for any food storage purpose. Since that's the majority of food items that I see in the coupons - snacks and treats - I still don't see how coupons will save me any money on my food storage.

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP