My Food Storage Deals: One of my favorite time saving tips!

One of my favorite time saving tips!

>> Thursday, August 21, 2008


This is one of my favorite tricks to help save you time and frustration during dinner! If you are like my family, we eat chicken based meals about 2-4 times a week. Sometimes you don't have the time to cook chicken, cut it and add it to a recipe. Well...here is a quick and easy solution! When chicken goes on sale for a GREAT price, stock up! Bring the chicken home, trim off any fat that needs cutting off and then throw several pounds of it in a large crock pot or roaster oven. I usually crock pot 10-15 lbs. of chicken at a time. I cook it on medium heat and season the chicken heavily with Montreal Steak Seasoning (my absolute favorite seasoning!) and McCormick Chicken Base (it's like chicken bouillion but in a spreadable form--you can buy it at Costco for really cheap!). Once the chicken is cooked I let it cool and then divide the chicken into several portions. I put 2-3 chicken breasts in each Ziploc bag and then freeze them until I am needing the chicken for dinner. When you are using the chicken for meals, just defrost or microwave for a minute or so, and then you can easily shred, chop or cut into large chunks for any meal that calls for chicken. Once the chicken is in the recipe you can season it however you desire. Having cooked chicken on hand can cut your meal preparation time in half!

7 comments:

Hilary August 22, 2008 at 7:36 AM  

SO smart. I buy those cans of chicken at Costco about once a year -- just for those days I'm in a pinch and REALLY need some cooked chicken. This is smarter though. Those cans of chicken are pretty expensive! (and small)

Julie August 25, 2008 at 9:09 AM  

Have you tried the montreal chicken seasoning? I love the steak but wondered about the chicken flavoring.

Shandra August 26, 2008 at 11:18 AM  

I do like the Montreal Chicken Seasoning too. THe steak is a little stronger in flavor--and I am all about a lot of flavor! So..I prefer steak, but both are great!

Mariel November 12, 2008 at 10:27 AM  

How long do you cook the chicken and is there any liquid in the crock pot? thanks!

PML January 18, 2009 at 10:34 PM  

I can't believe I haven't ever done this. I cook almost all my ground beef when I buy it, and I freeze peppers, diced onions, tomatoes, and others, but I have never thought of doing chicken. I am so glad you put this on here for the dumb blond in me!

The Denny Family March 23, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

What do you consider a great price for Chicken? Do you buy the whole chicken, or is this for like the boneless/skinless??(torriedenny@hotmail.com)

Callie April 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

I often do this over the stove in my large stock pot. After the chicken is cooked you are left with delicious chicken stock! I put it in 2 cup tupperware containers and freeze until I need it. I often do this when whole chickens are on sale as well.

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP