My Food Storage Deals: Breadcrumbs made EASY!

Breadcrumbs made EASY!

>> Wednesday, July 16, 2008

People always laugh that I make my own bread crumbs. I have to thank my mom for this funny habit! She used to always have dried bread around the house and I swore I would never do this--and of course, now I do too! Yes, breadcrumbs are only $5.99 for two tubs at Costco--but a few dollars here and there always adds up. So...this is how you can make your own bread crumbs without a lot of effort. Whenever you have an end piece to a bread loaf, a leftover hot dog bun, bread that you know you aren't going to eat..instead of tossing it out--save it! I have a container in my pantry (a washed out licorice container--that is how cheap I am :) and whenever I have bread that I am not going to use, I put in this container. You DON'T want a lid on this container because you want the bread to dry out. Once the container is filled to the top with dry bread I get out my food processor (this one was given to my mom 30 years ago for her wedding and is still kicking!). You simply put the bread in, turn it on and walla, you have breadcrumbs! Add a few of your favorite spices (garlic powder, parsley, salt, peppper, Italian Seasoning, and Garlic Spread (from Costco--I put it in pretty much everything!). Then, just keep your breadcrumbs in ANY container with a lid you would like. Having bread crumbs on hand make breading chicken a cinch! I also use my dried bread for egg casseroles and bread pudding. Yum!!

2 comments:

Julie Avery February 19, 2009 at 10:41 AM  

Love this idea! Thanks :D I put a little post on my blog about it and your site. Thanks for all your great ideas and Inspirational Posts!!

Anonymous March 17, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

I did almost the same thing with the left over freeze dried bits of bread and crusts in the freezer. Wizzed them up in the blender and put them straight back in the freezer (I prefer soft breadcrumbs not dried)

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP