My Food Storage Deals

>> Saturday, May 23, 2009



Sam’s Club or Costco..which is cheaper?

This is a question I get asked on a regular basis, and until last month I didn’t know a definitive answer. I figured I might as well take matters into my own hands and find out for
myself. After doing this I realized many people have done this same study and their findings can be found online as well. My findings were the same however, Sam’s Club seems to be the winner! I am personally a Costco shopper (only once a month to keep my food budget down..too many tempting things to buy!) However, I also have a membership to Sam’s Club. I was not surprised to find that Sam’s Clubs prices were less, knowing that they are owned by Walmart—and they seem to have a monopoly on cheap prices!

I thought I would base my findings on long term food storage items, since that is the majority of what I buy at these stores (except for produce). I found that the differences were only a few pennies on most items, but you and I both know the saying “ a penny saved is a penny earned”

So why was Sam’s Club parking lot completely empty and Costco’s was packed? That argument can be left up to your own opinion, but if you are wanting the VERY best deal on many items, it looks like Sam’s Club may be a good option for you.

So, just because items are sold at a warehouse store, does that mean that they are automatically a good deal? NO!! I talk to many people who shop religiously at Costco and assume they have all of the best deals. This is what they want you to think, but that couldn’t be further from the truth! Comparing the weekly grocery store prices to Costco and Sam’s Club you will find that MANY items each week go on sale for LESS than these stores’ prices. If you do not have the time to compare prices each week to these stores, this is what Deals to Meals’ specialty is! We do all of the comparison shopping for you. We will tell you each week which items are LESS per ounce than those items you can buy at these stores. Not buying items in large bulk sizes will also save you money from not having to throw away wasted product, or expired food.

Knowing which items to buy at which stores, and when to stock up, is the secret to saving $100s on your monthly
grocery bill! Let us help make this process FUN & EASY for you! Become a member today www.dealstomeals.com

9 comments:

Wendy May 24, 2009 at 7:52 AM  

If the price differences between the two are only a "few pennies," then I think that proximity should be your main consideration. Gas expense could quickly gobble up the difference in costs if one store is quite a bit farther away than the other. Time is also a big consideration. A few pennies isn't worth the additional time and gas to travel to Sam's Club if Costco is closer.

Wendy
http://iprepared.blogspot.com

Amber May 25, 2009 at 8:54 AM  

Is it enough of a difference to make it worth driving 30 min to get to a Sam's Club? There's a Costco right in my town but getting to Sam's is a bit of a trip.

Willy Happy Mama May 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM  

I am so glad you posted this. To true! Buying in bulk isn't always the best deal. However, buying the smallest size on sale with a coupon is! I would love it if you could post some specific items and you price compared at Costco and Sam's. Thanks for your blog!

Julie May 27, 2009 at 10:25 PM  

I've always thought Sam's Club was cheaper, at least on the items I buy. But it's usually more than a few pennies. It just depends on the items you usually buy. Plus I love that it's not as crowded as Costco, can't figure it out though.

Maxwells May 29, 2009 at 6:15 AM  

A good thing with Sam's is you can order your grocery shopping trip online and pick it all up, they go gather it all for you!

Ashley June 10, 2009 at 12:23 PM  

I can give my personal opinion about this after visiting Utah for the first time. When we have members move to Oklahoma from Utah we always here, “Oh you don’t have a Costco?” No we don’t, so I was surprised to see that Utah had both, I thought it was as if the west had Costco and the south had Sams…but not true!. I think it’s has more to do with it being that it is “trendier” to shop Costco than it is Sams. Even if Sams is closer and obliviously cheaper. In Oklahoma, I find many LDS members will make the drive to the super target and spend more money rather than shopping at wal-mart, and many people still won’t take advantage on the free site to store shipping that Wal-mart offers, there are many more options on-line. But a slight few like my sister in Law refuses to buy anything from Wal-mart or Sams due to monopolizing the market.

By the way…I’m crossing my fingers for you to expand to Oklahoma….please ;-) I love your site. And because I don’t get to sign up on your program I was able to help a Utah friend save money but introducing her to you great sites. Thanks!

Xazmin June 16, 2009 at 9:20 PM  

I've had dual memberships to Costco and Sams at one time, and I cancellec my Sam's because I feel like Costco has such a better selection of everything!

wilkinson_fam July 21, 2009 at 12:32 PM  

Ditto to what Xazmin said! After shopping at both, Costco has a greater and tastier selection than Sam's. Some of my favorite items at Costco were not available at Sam's. Sam's carried more run-of-the-mill products while Costco carries the basics PLUS more specialized, gourmet items.

Much, much better.

Yaya' s Changing World November 19, 2009 at 4:21 AM  

We were always under the impression that Sam's Club had the same prices as Walmart. Thanks for the heads-up. ~ Yaya
Yaya's Home

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP